Introduction to Insomnia
Insomnia is an open source desktop application that takes the pain out of interacting with and designing, debugging, and testing APIs. Insomnia combines an easy-to-use interface with advanced functionality like authentication helpers, code generation, and environment variables.
With Insomnia you can:
- Debug APIs using the most popular protocols and formats.
- Design APIs using the native OpenAPI editor and visual preview.
- Test APIs using native test suites.
- Mock APIs will be coming soon in November 2023.
- Build CI/CD pipelines using the native Insomnia CLI for linting and testing.
- Collaborate with others using the many collaboration features to share your projects.
And a lot more! The following storage options are supported for your projects, collections, specs and all other files:
- Local Vault: for local storage of collections, design specs and every other resource.
- Cloud Sync: for cloud collaboration, end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) and free.
- Git Sync: for Git storage of all files using any 3rd party Git repository.
Toggle between design, debug, and test to speed up and control your API development process.
Insomnia is available for Mac, Windows, and Linux and can be downloaded from the website: https://insomnia.rest/download
Account & Subscriptions
You can use Insomnia without an account with Scratch Pad, or you can create an account for free to get access to the full capabilities of the product.
Even with an account, Insomnia only stores your projects and files accordingly to the storage backend that you have selected, which can be Local Vault, Cloud Sync, Git Sync or any combination of them. As such you have the freedom to choose to store sensitive projects locally, while still being able to collaborate on others in the cloud or on Git. It’s the best of both worlds.
Premium features and support
Kong Inc. offers commercial subscriptions that enhance Insomnia in a variety of ways. Some of those features include the ability to create organizations for your projects, Enterprise SSO with SAML and OIDC, RBAC when sharing our projects with others, AI capabilities to increase developer productivity when creating, testing and documenting APIs and a lot more.
You can explore all premium plans and get started for free.